Connect with us


Fury brutally KO’s Whyte to retain WBC heavyweight crown



Tyson Fury defended his WBC heavyweight title with a stunning sixth-round KO of Dillian Whyte at a packed-out Wembley.

Fury’s camp had been adamant the fight would not go beyond the sixth — and the Brit made good on those predictions in devastating fashion.

The Gypsy King, 33, said: “I’m overwhelmed by the support. I cannot believe 94,000 countrymen and women came here to watch me.

“From the bottom of my heart, thank you to everyone who bought a ticket and stayed up late to watch this fight.

“Dillian is a warrior and I believe he will be a world champion. Unfortunately, he had to fight me tonight.

“You are not messing with a mediocre heavyweight, you are messing with the best man on the planet.”

Fury was quick to thank trainer SugarHill Steward and remind his fans he had promised wife Paris that he would retire following his trilogy fight with Deontay Wilder.

The Mancunian added: “This man, SugarHill, has made the man I am. He has made me the biggest puncher in in the heavyweight division.

“I promised my wife that would be it after the Wilder fight. But I got offered a fight at Wembley and I owed it to the fans. What a way to go out.

“This might be the final curtain for the Gypsy King.”

Fury controlled the opening five rounds with ease, demonstrating a gulf in reach and gulf in class between the fighters.

Whyte, 34, had struggled to make any kind of impression and his chance to do so in his maiden world title fight was taken away when Fury landed a crushing right uppercut.

The end result never looked in doubt and the only question now is whether Fury will make good on his promise to end his career on the back of this victory.

Having returned to the UK after five fights in the US, Fury has left the door ajar for another bout after keeping it firmly shut to ensure Whyte could not take his WBC and lineal crowns.

Indeed, the only time ever looked perturbed at Wembley was during a tempestuous fourth round in which ref Mark Lyson had to repeatedly get involved, warning Whyte for following in with his head and Fury for hitting on the break.

The two fighters exchanged words and that episode perhaps increased Fury’s desire to end things quickly, doing so with one of the finest punches of his professional career — and perhaps his last.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.